One of my spiritual fathers often reminds me: “When life feels heavy, you’re probably carrying something that God doesn’t want you to carry. When you don’t have grace for what you’re carrying, it feels like the weight of the world is on your shoulders.” I have walked through seasons of heaviness many, many times. Maybe you have too?
When I’ve prayed into the source of the heaviness, I’ve discovered: unforgiveness toward others, a lack of trust in God, misalignment between my call and my vocation, and more. Thankfully, I’ve also found the open arms of Jesus beckoning me to come and lay those burdens down.
Israel’s greatest warrior and king, David, experienced that heaviness too. He wrote, “Cast your burden on the Lord, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved.” (Psalms 55:22 ESV)
Today, at Phoenix, the “pet rock” we carried from one end of Bond Park to another reminded us to reflect on what may be making our lives feel unnecessarily heavy. May we all refuse to run through life carrying those things for which God has not given us grace.
24 HIM went to the pet store that was the Bond Park Community Center rock pile and made new friends…cute, loveable pet rocks.
Oh, and five PAX tried to sneak in late…they didn’t succeed. YHC was born at night…but it wasn’t last night.
– Pledge of Allegiance at the Shovel Flag
– Jog to the Community Center…backwards run for fun on the way.
– Paint the lines in the pk lot
– Penalty burpees x50! OYO (According to Nantan, that’s a CarPex record)
– Frontside Jacks x20IC
– Good Morning x10IC
– Leg stretches: hammy, quad, IT band x10IC
– Imperial Walkers x20IC
– Grab a pet rock
– Indian Run to the West Parking Lot (Cary that rock overhead for a bit)
– Four Corner Escalators: Rock Bearpees x10 at all four corners; Rock WWII Sit-ups x20 at three corners; Rock Rows x30 at two corners’ Squat Preacher Curls (for gurls) x40 at the last corner
– Captain Thor: 1:4 Big Boy Rock Sit-ups to Rock Hammers at every other light pole to the Comm. Center (no, don’t put down your rock)
– Indian Run to the Playground
– 7’s: pull-ups and 3 second BTTW holds
– Indian Run back to the rockpile (hold the rock over your head as much as you can!)
– Ok…drop that burden
– All you’ve got to the flag
– Burpees x10 OYO…we had to get to 100 burpees…am I right?!
– Folded Arm Hang; move to the right and left
– Achilles Stretch left and right
– Sumo Squat Stretch; slow roll up
– IT Band stretch
– Behind back tricep stretch
– Chicken Wing stretch right and left
Great work, men. Super proud of you.