Man, these last few days have been rough in the Cally household. YHC had been sick for a couple weeks but was starting to feel better, only to start feeling like hot garbage again yesterday. The 2.0 has been struggling with an ear infection and then some other nasty virus that has had him up most of the night. And the M…well the M is doing just fine. But the lack of sleep is getting to her too a little.
So last night, when Twitter told me I had the Q this morning, I seriously considered fart-sacking. That has NEVER happened before. At first I was surprised and to be honest, I was a little disappointed in myself. But after some thought, I realized something. Even the most dedicated can be tempted to take the easy way out. But how you respond to that temptation is what makes up who you are as a man. I shouldn’t be ashamed that the thought entered my mind. What counts is what I did with that thought. This morning as my alarm went off, I felt my heading pounding (friggin’ allergies), my body was sore, and I needed sleep. So as a response, I threw my legs over the side of the bed and was out the door in less than five minutes.
I was weak. I was tired. I was sick. And I was sore. But the PAX were waiting. And I was able to post knowing that despite how I felt, I made the right decision. It’s all about the little wins.
And when I got to the park, I was happy with the decision I made. There was no way I could have known this while laying in my bed this morning, but Term Paper went through a very similar thought process I’m sure. After being out with the flu, he decided he’d had enough down time and it was time to push through, despite still feeling weak and tired. Hermes did the same thing, also trying to bounce back from sickness. All of the men made that decision this morning. And it was the right one. I couldn’t be more proud of this group of guys.
Despite what Pet Sounds might think, even he made the right decision.
Jog toward the playground and take a lap around the lot. Circle up for SSH, Good mornings, Merkins, and Sumo Squats.
Partner up with someone of similar speed and ability. Partner 1 runs to front lot and around the island and back to the midpoint. Partner 2 runs the opposite direction around the back lot and back to the midpoint. Each time you meet your partner, each PAX does 10 Partner Derkins. Repeato for 20 minutes, AMLAP.
When 20 minutes was up, each pair grabs a good-sized rock for Rocky Dora 1-2-3. 100 Curls, 200 Triceps Extensions, 300 Rows as a team – one runner and one rocker. Flapjack as needed.
A little time left for some leg work, since our upper bodies were toast, run to the little wall for 20 ALRSU in cadence and then 10 one-legged squats each leg. Then run back to the front lot for…
20 LBCs real fast like
Count-o-rama: 10 Jacked Jesters
Name-O-Rama: Still 10 – 2 RESPECTs, 1 hate, 7 meh
Announcements: read this
Prayers: Shutty’s M, various sicknesses
YHC took us out
– Pet sounds came this morning and just immediately tried to get in YHC’s head. He wanted me to fold. He wanted to see me crumble. Alas, I whupped him.
– I think he made a good choice coming to FWD. His worry was that without a plan, my Q would be not so great. And to be totally fair, I’ve been known to put on quite the cluster if I don’t plan a beatdown. Luckily for everyone, sometimes I can still piece together something magical on the fly.
– I am so excited for the Archie Miller Experiment at IU. There are no downsides to this. If he sucks, I get to enjoy that. If he brings Indiana back to national prominence, it gives Purdue another good win on our tourney resume. Win-win.
– Hey, guess what. Hendrik has a double ear infection. Just found that out. No wonder he’s not been sleeping. So this is the second round of ear infections in a two-week period.
– People keep telling me that it’s good he’s getting sick now rather than when he starts school. I need some reassurance that this is a real thing that I actually want. Cuz right now I sort of want to drop-kick anyone who tells me that him being sick right now is beneficial.
– I know one of you smarta$$es are gunna say this to me tomorrow morning. I can feel it in my bones, I just know it. All I have to say is this – wear a cup. Cuz I promise I will not hesitate to swiftly kick you in the nuts as hard as I can. I mean it. I am willing to literally break my shin across your nuggets. Try me.
– You can tell I haven’t Q’d in awhile, right? This moleskin is pretty terrible.
– It was awesome to see everyone working hard this morning. I tried my hardest to break Smokey, but he didn’t quit. Term Paper sounded like hell, yet he still killed it this morning. Chanticleer tried to knock Pet Sounds out, but PS kept trucking. JigglyPuff and Water Wings killed it. The rock they picked for the Dora put the rest of us to shame. Shank did the entire workout without saying a single word. It was crazy. I don’t understand how people are able to do that! (He actually spoke a lot, but relative to the rest of us, he seems quiet). And Hermes, also fresh off of the flu, still had enough energy for his signature 9 count. And Ollie, being the greatest partner ever, kept YHC accountable to his goal of 20 minutes on the partner runnng rather than calling an audible. Proud of you guys.
– So, who wants to run with me tomorrow morning? 5AM. Bond Park. You know you want to.
– I’m so happy tomorrow will be light on the arms (for me, anyway). My shoulders and arms are on vacation the rest of the week.